Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's cheap and it doesn't give me hives

Laundry soap!  I have a major love hate relationship with laundry soap.  On one hand it makes my clothes clean....but on the other it sometimes makes me break out in hives!  Yikes!  So after years of paying for either the expensive organic, dye, and scent free laundry soap or a costco size bottle of antihistamine I decided it was time to try home made laundry soap.

I first saw homemade laundry soap on 19 Kids and Counting.  Although I think it was just 17 kids back then.  There is something about the Duggar family that I love, but homemade laundry soap? come on.

Leave it to Pinterest to force me to try something home made that I would not have bothered with before.  I tried The White Silk Purse's recipe for laundry soap a few weeks ago.

  First of all it's super cheap to make which makes up for the super big mess I made in my food processor, Giant stock pot and stand mixer.

 Secondly, It smells like Dial soap! Fels Naptha, which I found at winco is made by Dial and I love the smell of it.  I had been using fels naptha as a stain pre treater so I new where to find it.  Winco has all sorts of cool stuff like that.

Third, It's concentrated so I only have to use a tablespoon for each load.  Now I do a TON of laundry, and I have been using this for about 6 weeks now and I am about a 1/3 of the way through the 3rd of 4 containers.  Normally I would have spent like 20 bucks on laundry soap by now instead of around 3 dollars.

So it's cheap, it smells nice and it lasts forever and DID I MENTION IT DOESN'T GIVE ME HIVES?!?!?!  seriously that part is the coolest part.  Sorry makers of Benadryl I will no longer be your poster child.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is great!!! I was very tempted to make that as well, will you let us know in a couple of months if you still like using it? By the way, i love this blog.:-)

    ReplyDelete