Saturday, November 19, 2011

Christmas book Countdown!


 Ok I am super excited for December to get here because of this Christmas countdown that our family is doing this year.  I did find this on pinterest but it looks like in all my excitement over the idea I forgot to pin it, but you don't really need the pin because it's an obvious concept :)  24 days of counting down to Christmas, and 24 books to open....one each night to read with the girls.

I am so excited about this!  I LOVE reading!  I read all the time and I have usually have a stack of 3 or 4 books by my bedside because I like to work on multiple books at once, I just can't focus on one.  my average library checkout total is 17...so yeah I like books.  I am always looking for ways to share my love of books with my kids.  We go to the library story time, and we check out a ton of books, we have story time, and I make sure that they see me reading too.

 I had hoped to buy some nice new books for our countdown supply but like everyone else in the world, our family budget is a little tighter this year than it has been before.  So I checked into the penny books on Amazon, and there were a ton under "Children's Christmas books" but shipping was 3.99 and considering I needed 15 more books to complete the 24 that was still too much money for us this year, so we will be collecting nice books a little at a time.

   I had 9 books already and so we hit the good will for the other 15.  For 20 dollars we got 15 Children's Christmas books ( they were mostly generic It's Christmas time stories, but the kids will like them) an Aladdin book and  mini Carebear for our little helpers :)  Also...sorry if you are at the Olympia Goodwill and cannot find any children's Christmas books....we bought them out.

 If you are on a really tight budget you could check Christmas books out from the library and just keep renewing them...at my library you can check the same book out 3 times in a row online and each checkout period is 3 weeks, so that is plenty of time to collect books from the library and do the countdown.  Also I'm sure everyone has family and friends that would be willing to lend some Christmas books to your cute little kids :)

This year we will be collecting The polar express for our nice book.  I am so excited, I love that book and I actually can't believe that we don't already own it because Peter loves it too.

Here is a list of books that I found on Amazon that I thought looked cute:
1. Who is Coming to our house
2. Olivia Helps with Christmas
3. Merry Christmas Curios George
4. I spy Christmas: A book fo Picture Riddles
5. Froggy's Best Christmas
6 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
7.Thomas's Christmas Delivery
8. The Night before the Night before Christmas
9. Duck and Goose: It's time for Christmas
10.  Merry Christmas Mom and Dad (Mercer Mayer)
11. How the Grinch stole Christmas  (of course)
12. A wish to be a Christmas Tree
13. Bear Stays up for Christmas
14. Merry Christmas Stinky Face
15. A charlie Brown Christmas (is it Christmas without ole CB?)
16.  Elf on the Shelf ( Holy Cow even used he is 30 bucks!)
17. Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
18.  The tale of the Three trees
19. The Polar Express
20. The gift of the Magi
21. The animals Christmas Carol



1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I also just saw it on Pinterest and I thought it sounded like such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete