Wednesday, December 14, 2011

8 hours later...

 I pinned this ruffled tree skirt how to, months ago and I have been wanting to make one for this year.  I was thinking about what kind of fabric to use.  I had seen it first in the cream, then in burlap and lace, and then in bright Christmas colors.  I loved the lace but hated the burlap, and Peter loved the cream, so I decided to do the cream with just a little bit of lace.

I found in my sheets pile 3 flat sheets that were the perfect color.  Thanks Mom for the hand me down sheet tops! I cut a 4 1/2 foot square out of one sheet and used the border piece as my width guide for the strips.  I cute the strips the the short length of the sheet to make them more managable.
 I cut up 2 twin size top sheets and the rest of the third after having cut out the base of the skirt from it, so this requires about 2 1/2 sheets worth of strips.  I also had 3 yards of lace which only made about a quarter of a row of ruffles, so I placed it strategically so it would show in the front.

  My pile of strips.  It ended up being about 2 times this size.

 next I just hot glued the strips to the base, making a ruffle as I went.  One thing I liked about this skirt was the messy, unfinished edges, this is my kind of project because after doing something for 8 hours I am not precise about anything.

 Finished!  everyone else has long gone to bed and left me to my ruffle gluing.  I had to wake up Peter to show him because it had taken so long and I needed to share my success with someone!

I love it!  It is so heavy though I bet it weighs 10 pounds or more!
 The tree is almost done, next I'm going to dry oranges and lemons to hang, and string some popcorn and cranberries for garland.  11 days till Christmas!!!

2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I should make one like that so Noah doesn't keep ripping ours off!

    ReplyDelete