Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ok so carpet is boring..

ok so Carpet is boring, but I have been obsessed with mine lately.  Zelda (that naughty little puppy)  is finally house broken!  Hurray! Hurrah! She wakes me up at 7am by sitting on my chest and licking my face till I take her out....cutest way to wake up ever!  But there are all these little wee wee spots by the front door and in the hall (two of her favorite spots to make a mess).  I did the whole iron out your stains with ammonia trick and it worked wonders, but it is slow and adding that much heat to ammonia really smells awful, and I'm starting school again in the fall and I'd rather not kill off my brain cells by cleaning.  Cleaning...what a waste that would be.

One day after I tried the ammonia and hot iron trick I found this pin that says I can dilute the ammonia in my carpet shampooer and clean my carpet with it.  AWESOME! So I did it today.  It works wonders.  Now I feel I must explain to you about my carpet, it looks like a drunken Kool aid man lives here.  There are little red juice stains everywhere!  Our carpet is terrible.  I looked it up to see how much it would cost to replace, it is 50cents per square foot, the cheapest carpet on the market.  The carpet is so cheap, that after every tenent management replaces the carpets (even after just a few months).  Anyways it's aweful stuff and it doesn't clean very well.   So no, the juice stains and the marker stains did not come out (by the way if you give my kids markers I'm going to let them use them at your house...you will need to repaint when they are done).  HOWEVER all the stains that I call the "brown" stains came up!  The dog mess, the chocolate milk that for some reason cannot be removed by convential methods, the food stains...and just plain ole dirt...up...gone!

I cannot tell you how happy this has made me.  I have been doing battle with this carpet for 2 1/2 years, since we moved in and Vi spilled the first cup of milk.  I have spent hundreds of dollars on this, I have tried every little bottle of stuff in the cleaning aisle.  I have had it professionally cleaned twice since we have moved it.  I have rented a professional grade cleaner, and now I own an upright shampooer and a little green machine spot remover.  All that and all I needed was a 1.25 bottle of ammonia. blerg.

A couple of disclaimers: Ammonia is a harsh chemical.  I am not a professional carpet person or even a very good housewife so use at your own risk.  KEEP IT AWAY FROM BLEACH.  If you mix it with bleach, open the windows and leave the house and call poison control...you have just created a fatal cocktail of chemicals.  Seriously don't do it.  And last but not least, as a friend of mine pointed out to me, ammonia is a component of pee so if you have pets, let it dry and air out and then use an odor neutralizer.  I'm using one called no-go, but you can find a variety of them in the puppy training section.  I reccomend doing this because do we really want to turn our homes into one giant wee wee pad for our pups?  I think not.  So far Zelda has not been attracted enough to the carpet to pee on it, so I'm calling this a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment